Thursday, October 26, 2006

A moment of weakness

I woke up this morning feeling terribly homesick for London. Maybe not London itself, but my life back there. Or mostly just my friends.

It was Brr's birthday, and I knew she'd gone through a big and eventful year. It shocked me to realize how disconnected I had grown from one of my closest friends, and suddenly, being at the receiving end of an email, no matter how detailed, simply wasn't enough. Nothing was enough unless I could be there to give her an enormous hug and reassure her that life doesn't start going downhill from 26. Trust me, I'd know. And all of a sudden I just had to speak to them all.

Called the Bart first.
"Hello?""Hey, Bart, its me!"
"Are you coming to my wedding?" (the Bart is getting married in January, and imbecile that I am, I hadn't as yet responded on my attendance.)
"Well the thing is, err..., you know, I mean the wedding is in India. I don't have leave! I have to go to India in December to meet the mater & pater, can't go again in January!"
"Whatever. You better be there."
"Erm, you know, I wish I could, seriously,..."
"Whatever. You better be there."
Sigh. "Okay fine I'll come down. Hell, you are one of my closest friends after all!"
And such is how I somehow caught myself promising to go to India. Even though I wouldn't have the leave. Even though I wouldn't have the money. Still, it filled my heart and I was ecstatic. I hadnt' realised just how bad I'd been feeling till then.

I called Brr after that, knowing it would be in the middle of her birthday celebrations.
"Fishali, hi, sho gladshyou called, I mish u and nowshyou called and whenshyou coming in deshember cosh we wanna shee you!"
Something like that it sounded. That's what you get for calling someone in the middle of their celebrations, I suppose. But all the same, sounded just like ol'Brr.
"26, so old!" I told her, forgetting I'd meant to reassure.
What are friends for, eh.

After I hung up the phone with Brr, I just sat in my room staring into space for the longest time. Some of you may point out that's what I do when I'm at work every day. But this was different. This was a moment replete with the kind of emotional reminiscence that had struck me silent.

Boy, I can't wait to go back to London again in December.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! And then we can go to Nandos...:) heh heh!

L.L. Barkat said...

Isn't it amazing how a face-to-face encounter fills us up? It's like we exist in a more real way, in that moment...