Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A new nest to roost and rest

After much ado (now it seems, in retrospect, about nothing), we have finally moved into our new home. There was a stage of packing, throwing, selling, and re-discovering the under-bed mysteries. And - oh my! - there were countless countless countless brown cartons (labelled with cryptic illogicisms like 'Ficali pillows & kitchen items' or 'Dining chairs & Doobie shoes'). But finally, after a seeming eternity, everything was at last in boxes. And then there was a stage of dealing with the movers. ("Play hardball and remember to haggle over the tip," Delta had advised. When tipping time came the movers told me, "tip what you like, but $40 a head would be nice." Like Delta had advised, I played hardball. I said, "Erm, ah, uh, okay $40 it is then.")

And now, at long last, we're all in the new apartment. Bobbis, Doobie, Ilajna and I earning frequent flyer status at all the home decor stores in the city. ("Help me put my new curtains up!" asked Ilajna. "Check out my new shelf decoration!" squealed Bobbis.)

A few months ago, a pair of birds had built a nest in the plants on my parents terrace. When they stumbled upon it and peered in for a closer look, they noticed that the nest had been built not just of twigs and straw, but also interwoven with a variety of brightly coloured strings and yarns (can birds see in colour??). "They'd made it so pretty!" my mum had exclaimed.

And now, in the throes of pulling our home together, its our turn to be just like the birds. As each of us brings home the coloured yarns and strings to tie our home together.

No comments: