Sunday, June 03, 2012

Goodbye, sugar, my dear friend

I'm not yet sure where I stand on Mike Bloomberg's stance re: the government's right to prohibit the sale of sugary drinks.

But I know this: I absolutely agree with the spirit of his argument. Obesity is a problem. For the entire society, not just the individuals themselves. Our collective addiction to sugary food poses a huge risk to the country. And inactivity is not an option.

This is not a political issue, we all need to come together do something to change the trajectory of the demise of our own making.

And for this reason, today I take a stance. It's time to cut out desserts after dinner each evening. Yes, even the Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Dark Chocolate Chip cookies. Even those, my last bastion of sinful pleasure. (Oh, Tummy, I hope you will enjoy the dried figs with equal levels of passion and daily commitment.)

Whichever way this policy ends up going, MB, I want to thank you for bringing this discussion to the forefront of the conversation.

No comments: