Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Gadgets that zig but don't zag

Macklaine's about to take the plunge in abandoning his current job and embarking on a mission of cerebral expansion in the world of software development. I, as an HR bod for techie nerds, am the most excited from this swerve in life's long road. From slacker to hacker, whaddaya know. Leaps and bounds ahead of the gun as usual, I've already started envisioning a future with Macklaine and I working at the same company, perhaps him even transitioning over to lovely New York, etc etc etc.

So I've been considerably enthused (and supportive) about his java-coding studies.

And then the other day he IM'd me: "Hey Ficali, I've coded a program for a web-based calculator! Check this out!" and he sent me a link which, when clicked upon dutifullyl, opened a screen that looked like a caculator.
"Use it! Use it!" he urged.
So I typed in a tentative 2 + 2, and it threw back my way a proud and blazing 4.
"Try more complicated stuff!" he urged.
So I typed 3745.23 + 2947.79, and it instantly flourished a series of digits which I could only assume were the correct answer.
"Fantastic, Macklaine!" I enthused.

But then I got cocky, and typed in a 5 * 2.
ERROR ERROR
Eh? Macklaine? What's up with that?
"Sorry," he said sheepishly, "it, erm, doesn't multiply yet. But it adds pretty well, eh?"

Even as I emitted a hearty laugh (for one must never lose the opportunity to laugh, especially at the expense of others), I couldn't help but feel proud. I mean, who else has a friend who's built a calculator! And now that we have Excel, who needs a calculator that multiplies anyways!

No comments: