Thursday, October 11, 2007

All growns up

I was walking to work this morning, when I suddenly found myself navigating through a swarm of teenagers. You'd think this an innocuous activity, but something about this lot sent a trill up my spine. Something about the way they stood in small huddled groups which resembled gangs. Something about the soggy cigarette ends drooping from the corners of their mouths. About their sullen expressions and muted subversive movements. I thought for a moment I was passing by some kind of juvenile delinquency centre.


So I paused and read the sign outside the building. But I was wrong. It was just a normal highschool. Those were just normal teenagers, pimply faces and all.


How weird, I thought, and moved on. And then suddenly it occured to me: I had just seen a whole bunch of perfectly normal, modern-day teenagers, and found them weird. I had just alienated myself from this entire subsection of society.


That's when I realised it - I couldn't even relate to adolescents anymore. For I was all growns up.

No comments: