Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The crappest HR Bod ever

Yesterday, I was on the phone with one of our employees, discussing a rather difficult issue. And then he started crying.

You think that's bad? I was perfectly calm pacifying him on the phone. But then when I hung up the phone, and our conversation just made me so sad, that I started crying. THE HR BOD STARTED CRYING.

Talk about the most unconstructive response ever.

Richie Rich came into the office at just that rather inconvenient moment. He had quickly ducked into my office to avoid bumping into another colleage in the corridor who talks too much, we have gradually entered a co-complicity in mutual office-ducking strategies.
"What's up with you?!" he looked at my teary face in horror.

Do you know that moment, when you're about to cry, but you're fighting to gain control of your emotions, and at just that moment someone extends a kind word, and that just opens the floodgates to the tears? That's what I was like. If Richie Rich hadn't come into my office at exactly that moment, I would have been fine. But what with him coming in and being all kind, I suddenly realised I had started to bawl.

When I had finally explained everything to him, about half a box of tissues later, he gave me a comforting pat on my shoulder. "Well, you wouldn't be human if this didn't upset you."

But boy, doesn't that make me about the crappest HR bod ever?

No comments: