Friday, October 03, 2008

Thank gawd for a thick skull

Despite our valiant effort to unpack our clothes, Delta and I are still living in boxes and suitcases. With our furniture, on the other hand we've proudly made more headway.

The other day, we were shifting out bookshelves to their designated corner. Delta and I make a comic pair, when we're trying to shift furniture together. With him being an entire foot taller than me, and significantly stronger, it creates a precarious imbalance to our coordination. So when we took hold of the shelves, him and one end and me at the other, we could only manage to lift them at an awkward tilt and hobble painstakingly (and inchingly) across the room.

There was a lot of "oh! oh! not that high!" and "slow down!" and "ouch!" (mostly from me), I have to admit. And neither of us thought to check what was lying on top of the shelves, before we picked it up at it's rakish angle.

We were just barely half way across the room when we heard something slide along the top of the bookshelf, skidding down the incline towards the floor. It was a frozen-in-time "oh-oh" moment, when there was nothing to do but wait and see what would fall off and crash to the floor. A ming (erm I mean ceramic) vase? A fragile candlestand? A....

Turns out, it was a knife. We'd been using it to cut the tape off the boxes, and had entirely forgotten we'd kept it on the top shelf. And now it skidded down the slope, towards the lower end. Towards me. Slid off the end of the shelf and hurtled downwards, right at my head.

We had no time to do anything. Do you remember the time I was almost killed by a giraffe falling on my head? Well this was immeasurably, immeasurably worse. A knife! Pointing at my head!

Of course, as is my norm, in the moment of crisis, my instincts, bluntened by my life of complacency, completely failed me, and I simply stood there, frozen and awaiting impending disaster.

Thunk.

The knife fell on my head, bounced off, and clattered to the floor. Cut? Gash? Outpouring of blood?
Nothing. Just a faint thunk.

Not that it's too much to brag about, but I have to say, thank gawd for a thick skull.

No comments: