Friday, October 31, 2008

Literary Panic

Somehow, in conversation with a colleague at work, I talked myself into signing up for National Novel Writing Month. Which means, over the month of November, I have to write a short novel of 50,000 words (~175 pages of type). Which comes down to typing about 2,000 words a day. Arduous, but achievable. I mean, there's people who climb Mt. Everest, for gawd's sake. Surely this was doable.

Of course it sounded to me like a lofty goal - but still, an exciting challenge. Until I suddenly realised that November starts tomorrow. Which means, if we do some nifty calculations and work back from t here, that I now have less than twenty four hours to come up with some semblance of plot, theme and characters.

I wonder if there's a Booker Prize for incoherent literature.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I'm in the same boat as you are!

I'm taking it in stride though...like they say...november is for writing...DECEMBER is for editing

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

amen to that :)