Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A life of humour

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I've decided to participate in National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo) for November. The thing about nanowrimo is that it demands an alarming alacrity of thoughts, and some hasty typing that gets my fingers in a tizzy. Needless to say, I'm already considerably behind schedule. Per my own calculations, I should have been about 10,000 words done today, in order to complete the requisite 50,000 words by the end of the month. But if truth be told, I'm on an embarrassing 5,700. I feel pressured, and pushed, and facing a tremendous writers block. Stuck at 5,700, what kind of novel is this going to be. Bah humbug.
"What are you writing about?" Delta asked me the other day.
"Oh, just about myself. I figured I'd start with the time that I moved to NewYork, and just see where it takes me."
"You're writing about yourself? So, erm, I hate to ask this but, how's that different from your blog?"
Touche.
I'll tell you how it's (marginally, microscopically) different. My blog is semi fictional. I mean, all the stuff that I said happens does actually happen, but I use some literary license to dramatize the mishaps of Ficali - you know? Just like a director might do when they make a film like "Into the Wild" (except with a lot less fame, no money at all, and considerably less glamour). So there's a bit of dramatic license, for humour's sake.

But with this mini-novel, I was determined to stick to the truth as much as possible. I started documenting my life with an exacting amount of accuracy, and a surprising amount of memory for detail. I started relating incidents as they actually happened.

But you know what? The stories were still funny. Without any exaggeration at all, the stories that encountered in my life just had a penchant for the ludicrous, somewhat like a Chevy Chase movie.

That's the story of my life. Just one funny thing after another, and me at the butt of it all. Rather an element of pathos to it all, but who am I to complain. I mean, I'm getting a blog and a mini-novel out of it, after all.

No comments: