Wednesday, January 07, 2009

iPhone rediscovered

"I think, as this year's resolution, we should make a better effort to keep in touch with people," Delta suddenly announced.
I gawked at Delta. "Eh?"

"You know - like making it a point to call friends we haven't spoken to in a long time, and remembering birthdays, and special events, etc. We're crap at that!"
I thought about it for a moment. "But I'm just not good at that kind of stuff," I objected.
As though some kind of congenital disorder made the situation out of my control. My voice sounded whiny, even to myself.

"That's exactly why we have to make it a New Year's resolution," Delta said firmly.
"But I already have a resolution for 2009. It's yoga." I pointed out.
"Well, make this your New Year Revolution then."

And that was that.

And just as I was mulling over it some more, he added, "and Facebook and your blog don't count as keeping in touch either."
Crap. Just as though he'd read my mind.

I was giving it some more thought today, when I realised:
- Without realising it, without knowing when, I moved from speaking to people to sending text messages and badly punctuated emails (but I still refuse to use twitter, everyone has their standards)
- I truly do have a congenital disorder that impedes me from picking up the phone and calling people (when in doubt, blame it on the parents)
- I bought my iPhone purely for aesthetics (and the applications), not for real phone usage
- I live my life under the infantile misperception that weekly one-line emails are truly sufficient to maintain relationships (and facebook status updates)

And the more I thought about it, the more mortified I was.

So in a burst of repentance and reformation, I called Cos in Seattle. And Shan-K (but he was busy and it went to voicemail, and I almost resorted to dropping him an email). And spoke to my aunt in Dubai (although she called me, so I'm not sure if that counts). And was just about to make another call, when I realised I really should be working.

So that's enough for today, but I can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments: