Thursday, July 16, 2009

Queen Jaffa goes for a walk

I was thinking to myself, if I were Queen Jaffa, I would be pining to go explore our building roofdeck. So this afternoon, bursting with maternal pride and excitement of a heart-twingingly fuzzy nature, I went to a pet store and bought her a cat-leash so I could take her out of the apartment.

When I got home, I pulled it out of the bag with a flourish, dangling it tantalizingly before Queen Jaffa. "Ta-da!!"

I guess it had been unrealistic of me to expect her bubble over with enthusiasm, but just a bit of excitement - was that too much to ask?

Instead, Queen Jaffa looked rather non-plussed.

Disconcertingly, her non-plussed look is rather similar to her 'happy cat' look.


Which is even more disturbingly similar to her 'sad cat' look.


So as it turns out, Queen Jaffa isn't the most expressive of animals. Apparently one is supposed to devise her mood by the twitch of her tail. Not easy, as I'm sure you can tell, in human-speak.

So I could be forgiven for thinking that QJ was actually happy about the leash. With the unconditional enthusiasm and love of innocence, I tried to pull it over her head.

Needless to say, the episode has ended with QJ returning triumphantly to her little nap spot on the rug, and I withdrew to the couch to lick my wounds and inspect the lacerations on my hand.

I guess it'll be another day before Queen Jaffa goes for a walk.

No comments: