Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The new gawd

Amazon's started a new express checkout feature called "Express Checkout Payphrase". The idea is that if you just type whatever pre-programmed phrase you've assigned your account, then you can check out super-quick. You know - without having to waste precious seconds logging in or verifying your address or credit card info. The idea is, just choose your item, type in your phrase, and poof! it appears at your home.

Anyways, so it turns out until you actually designate what phrase is yours, Amazon keeps suggesting phrases to you.

Last week when I went to the site it suggested:
"Ficali's chocolates". No joke, folks, I was downing a Reese's Piece at that very moment. How could Amazon have known?! Was it watching me?

Of course it was just a stupid coincidence. Right?

Until this morning when I logged in again and the phrase was:
"Ficali correct posture."
Dammit. How did it know I was slouching?! How could it be?!!! I sat up straight on the large exercise ball which is my office chair, suddenly fearful of how amazon had insinuated itself into my personal space.

There's only one possible explanation for this, of course. Given its proven omniscience, the only possible concluion is that Amazon, keeps watching me, all the time, everywhere. Just like gawd.

No comments: