Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mid Summer Night('s) Mare

After several months of incessant complaining about the cold, I have made an absolute change of direction, like a fickle breeze, and started complaining about the heat. (I maintain in my defence, that as an unfortunate product of the confused and spoilt Generation Y, acting in this capricious and whimsical manner is my absolute prerogative. In fact I'd even go so far as to suggest that it is my obligation.)

Summer hath unleashed herself upon us in all her fury, and obviously Doobie and I had had neither the foresight nor the initiative to prepare in advance for the advent of tropical heat. And so it comes to be that this weekend found us complaining in our kitchen as we steadily melted into puddles of perspiration (because women perspire, they don't sweat, oh no).

"We should have bought fans," I lamented, as though it were no longer an option.
"We still can," Doobie pointed out, sometimes (though not always) the practical one.
"Maybe we should just get those air cooler things, like they have in India!" I brainwaved.
"Erm. Ahem," Delta interjected. "I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur on this subject, and I've never seen anything like that in the US." I threw him a glare, my preferred response to conceding that he might have a point and I might be wrong.
Bobbis entered the room. "We should just get air conditioners," She emphasised.
And that was that.

So this morning I set about the arduous task of browsing through websites to find the perfect AC for my room. Definitely something white. Definitely something small. Definitely something affordable. That was pretty much all the specifications I had in mind when I started. And then the websites threw me for a loop. There was all sort of numbers - 5,000 BTU, 13x36 inches, etc. It would be typical of me to end up buying something that didn't fit in my window or wall socket. So I resorted to some reasonable guesstimation. Stretched out my arm in front of me and squinted in an attempt to gauge how long it was. Hmm - maybe a foot and a half from shoulder to finger tips. Thought back to my window - probably an arm and a quarter in length. So basically 36 inches sounded about right.

So I bought the darned thing.

I'm excited that I'll have an AC delivered sometime within the next few days - salvation from this heat is nigh! Now all I have to hope is that it actually fits in the window. Minor details.

No comments: