Thursday, June 01, 2006

One lives and learns (but no promises on the learning)

So, I was very conscientious about archiving all my emails into a PST file that I saved on the network. At first, I was the typical kind of sceptic that thought that kind of thing was a waste of time - you know - the impetuous brashness of youth and all that malarky.

But then my computer crashed, including all the information, and I was mighty glad for the wise old owl who had advised me to back up my emails on the network.

And then, when my computer was finally repaired, I could just re-import the PST file into my Outlook - like so - and there were all my old emails, fine and dandy.

But did you know its possible to import the PST file into the wrong part of your mailbox, so that it busts your mailbox size limit, and you can't receive/send emails anymore? Me neither. This world of technology befuddles and confuddles me.

Anyways, so there I was sitting, happy as pie. Wondering why I hadn't received any emails today, but not questionning it too hard, because it meant less work to be done. And one should never tempt fate, right? So the lack of emails in my inbox was the last thing on my mind when Big Boss M popped his head into my office this afternoon.

"Did you know you're not receiving emails anymore???!" he asked.
"Oh, really?" I was surprised.
"You need to get it checked out!" he exclaimed. "Anyway, here's the gist of the important emails I sent you this morning." And he handed me a little pile of post-its, each neatly listing my to-do actions.
"Oh. Thanks." Bless his dear heart.
He sighed. "Get that mailbox checked," he suggested, and as he headed off back in the direction of his own office, I could still hear him muttering something about mailboxes and not receiving emails.

No comments: