Thursday, February 15, 2007

Anti-Dentite

Back to my cave, where I hide from the world.

I had an appointment for a dental checkup the other day. I hate dentists. I'm an anti-dentite. No matter what I do with my teeth, dentites are always full of reprimand.
"Why don't you floss six times a day?"
"Erm, because I have a life."
"Well you might just lose all your teeth by thirty, missy."

Yikes.

Anyways, so I worked myself up into a right little nervous wreck. ("Heh, heh, he's going to shout at you," said Delta, co-anti-dentite).

All started fine with the dentist (he went through my teeth, 'fine, fine, fine' he said to each one), until he suddenly turned out to be the harshest sub-human dentite to have ever existed. First, he pounced upon one of my teeth. If truth be told, I'd known that tooth might create a bit of a hubbub, having felt a slight soreness there a couple of days earlier. Still, I decided to play defence and feign surprise. Until he pronounced his treatment, and then suddenly all pretences were out the window.
"You're going to have to get a root canal on this one."

Having never had anything of the kind before, a root canal sounded like brain surgery to me. I trembled. "Do I have to? I mean, Can we try with just a filling?"

And suddenly he was thundering at me. "TRY? We don't try with teeth. A root canal is what you need, and you better have one now! And anyways, its not because you need a filling! I think you have an infection!"

"Oh. Erm. Err. Uhmm. Can we maybe try antibiotics or something then?"

"Who's the dentist, you or me? When I say you need a root canal, you need a root canal!! I mean, look at that, that tooth obviously needs a root canal!"And he stormed out of the room, slamming the door.

Silence.

And then, the most embarrassing thing happened. I felt my lower lip tremble. For gawd's sake don't cry, Ficali! And I think I would have maintained control, had it not been for the kindly nurse.
"Are you all right, honey? That was horrible! I thought maybe you'd cry."
And that little trick opened opened the floodgates. I started bawling.

I started bawling. I didn't even know why I was crying. Sitting there in the dentist's office, acting like a 5yr old. But there I did sit, crying my heart out for about half an hour, while the nurse kept stroking my hair. All because he had shouted at me.

I guess I've just never been shouted at before, nothing to quite prepare me for that. (Always blame everything on deficient parentage).

I am MORTIFIED. Simply MORTIFIED.

No comments: