Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fight or Flight

Yesterday, I trudged through the growing piles of snow towards the office. Flurries of snow swilled around me, little icy flecks stinging my face. Slowly, gingerly, I inched my way onwards (let it forever be remembered, the tenacious HR bod). Step. Squilch. Crunch. Slip. Step. Squilch. Cruch. Slip. Fall. And that was the pattern, tentatively across the street.

And then, suddenly, a snowball splatted me squarely on the head. Quite nearly knocked me off my feet, to be honest. Dratted school kids. My Fight or Flight instincts kicked in immediately, and I felt the surge of adrenaline.

And then I realised I was stuck in piles of snow, eliminating the 'Flight' option. I don't think the plod-plod-slip-skid-plod move counts as 'flight' really.

And then I realised the school kids were actually bigger than me in size (boy these kids here grow HUGE), eliminating the 'Fight' option.

I think the modern metropolitan being needs to develop some new instincts. (eg. shout back witty retorts. I don't know. But something.)

What's a bod to do when your instincts arent enough?

No comments: