Monday, February 12, 2007

The professional HR bod

Richie Rich screeched to a sudden halt as he passed by my office today.
"What's that?!!"
I glanced around the room, as though trying to figure out what he could be referring to. Looked at my laptop. At the phone. At the post-its. Took my fair time over it. Finally, down at the large ball on which I was perched.
"Oh, this? Heh heh. I've taken to sitting on a fitness ball. Apparently its good for your abs and back."
"Oh," he said. Blinked.
"You don't mind, do you?"
"No, you're cool."
"It doesn't distract from my overall professional veneer, does it?"
He laughed and headed off, shaking his head.

I'd meant the question seriously. Well, kind of, anyway. Until I looked at the scene from his perspective. Taking in my entire office at a glance: the little Batman and Joker dolls perched on the cabinet (someone else's, not mine); the Calvin & Hobbes strips all over my pinboard; the bright purple post-its; and me, clad in jeans and trainers, perched on a bright pink ball.

I guess I should be relieved he just laughed.

No comments: