Saturday, March 15, 2008

A weekend in Seattle

Since I was meant to go to Seattle for training this week, Delta and I figured we might as well go for the weekend before, and spend the weekend with my Cos and her hubby. It turned out with a spot of luck that Seattle was in a reasonably clement weather mood, and we made a marvelous weekend out of it.

Although Cos and I always manage to wrangle a bit of time to catch up with each other when I'm in Seattle, it had been a long time since I'd actually had a chance to spend the wekend with them. I'd (almost) forgotten how it feels to wake up in the morning to a whole host of animals staring you in the face expectantly. Or to have a cat stroll self-importantly into your room in the middle of hte night and decide to curl up again using your stomach as its bed. I'd (almost) forgotten how much I loved it all.

I must admit, I was curious to see how Delta would take to the animal farm - but he seemed to adapt to it right away (in fact by the second night he had taken to mumbling "here, kitty, kitty" in his sleep even when the cats weren't actually in the room).

That Saturday, we decided to go hiking in the Cascades. The train we had originally wanted turned out to be still snowbound, but we managed to find another little one and stomp off into the woods after all. Everywhere we looked, we could see signs that spring was afoot, and instantly, our spirits soared, for we knew this marked the start of a full season of biking, tennis, hiking and camping.


That evening after our hike, I asked Cos' hubby whether he'd be up for cooking dinner at home that evening. I've learnt from experience that he's a fantastic cook, and far be it from me to miss out on such an opportunity whilst in Seattle.
"Of course he will!" Cos interjected when I asked, thereby not leaving her hubby any option. I reckon she'd had her sights set on his cooking too.

And so proceeded a great evening at home, with the boys taking over the kitchen (tilapia vindaloo), while Cos and I - well, someone had to be decent enough to make sure the wine didn't feel neglected!

I'd never quite appreciated female emancipation quite like this before, I must admit.



The next morning, we all headed out for a walk by Alki beach, and then around Green Lake. A perfectly peaceful and relaxing day (punctuated by periodic stops at Starbucks, wouldn't ya know it).

(Note above how Seattle residents do not bother using sunglasses - they'll try to fool you about the weather, but don't let them tell you otherwise. :)

No comments: