Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Move your money

Move your money. Go on. Give it a try.

I moved my money from Citibank to the much smaller, much more personal, TD Bank. I'm done with "too big to fail" banks that fall apart and need to be bailed out. I'm tired of the annual fee that they suddenly started on my credit card. I'm appalled that they gave me the option of "going paperless", and then continue to send marketing spam in the mail every week anyway. And if I get one more of their spam emails about balance transfers again, I might just pull all my hair out.

So in the interests of preventing my premature balding, I decided to switch banks. TD bank isn't quite the tiny credit union I would have aspired to in the ideal world. But it has absolutely everything I want. It's committed to being carbon neutral. It donates significant amounts of money annually to charity. And of course, it hands out those free pens all over the city.

For several months now, I have secretly coveted a TD Bank pen. I'm not quite sure why - surely, it's just a pen - but it has suddenly become so ubiquitous in the city, it seems like everywhere I turn, there's someone with a TD Bank pen. And then suddenly I had to have one too. Probably the same sound reasoning behind why I had to open a facebook account. No need to snicker, I never claimed my aspirations were lofty ones.

So finally, I'd had enough and I moved my money. To a bank that's environmentally conscious. That's socially active. To a bank that, much to my excitement, has given me my coveted pen.

No comments: