Sunday, March 30, 2008

An at-home weekend

This weekend turned out to be bit of a home weekend. Doobs and I had meant to go to Connecticut to visit Mr. and Mrs. Pooks, but what with her battling the flu and all, we decided to lay low instead.

So Friday evening, we decided to have a girlie evening at home. "I'll make dinner," I suggested, offering to whip up some grilled chicken tacos. It had been a while since I'd made dinner for the girls, and it felt good to be rustling odds and ends together in the kitchen again. We perused the list of new movies on Pay-Per-View, and collectively settled (with surprising ease I might add) on Into the Wild. If you've ever had the experience of trying to pick a movie with friends, you know it can lead to debate of a testing and prolonged nature (not so different from the Clinton-Obama fanfare, I guess you could say). So when we all agreed on Into the Wild, we quickly put it on before anyone could change their mind.

And what a soul-searching, life-questionning movie it turned out to be too. For half an hour after the movie was over, we sat in a stunned silence, gradually absorbing the enormity of the theme. Kind of like the silence that followed Braveheart (except that time, it was because I'd fallen asleep).

The following evening turned into an impromptu affair. Ilajna brought Dannyboy (her fella) over, and we were all lounging aimlessly, lulled into a semi-stupor by the senseless drone of the telly, when Lahsiv finally returned my voicemail.
"Say, I dont' have any plans for this evening, shall I come over?" he asked.
"Sure, the party's rocking over here!" I said. I'm not quite sure why I said that. Especially to someone who now thinks my idea of a rocking party is to sit in front of a telly watching sitcom re-runs.

But Lahsiv is accustomed to worse from me. "Do I need to bring anything?" he asked, unfazed.
I checked the (empty) fridge. "Um, yeah, you might want to bring some beers for yourself," I said.
"Got it."
I glanced around at everyone else. "Oh, um, Lahsiv?"
"Yeah?"
"While you're at it, could you bring a sixpack of beers for Dannyboy too? And some wine for the girls?"
"You mean you guys don't have anything in the apartment?"
"Erm, no not really."
Sigh.
"Oh, um, and Lahsiv?"
"Yeah?"
"And while you're at it, you might want to pick up some food for yourself too. We pretty much cleared the fridge for our dinner. There's like a cinnamon roll or something, but that's about a week old."
Sigh. "I'll pick up my own food."
"Oh, um, and Lahsiv?"
"Yeah??"
"And while you're at it, could you pick up some dessert for us?"
"Gawd, you guys are such losers!"
But there he was, half an hour later, hands full of food and bevvy. What can you say about friends like that, eh.

No comments: