Monday, December 24, 2012

A quiet holiday period

The holidays have traditionally been a busy time of year. Delta and I have either always been travelling, or recuperating from recent travels, or just having a time replete with friends, family and parties.

This year, however, is different. It's quiet. I had a few vacation days to burn before the end of the calendar year, so I've taken time out (I never usually do that unless we actually are travelling somewhere). And yet this year, we had no plans for travels. The flights were all heavily booked, eliminating any possibility of non-rev (free) travel. And far be it from us to actually pay for a ticket.

So here we were, with plenty of days off, and no real plans for things to do with it. Time has started expanding itself with an astonishing elasticity. Delta's sister and her husband came down to visit us for a couple days, but left yesterday. And most of our friends have embarked on travels of their own, leaving us bereft of our normal festivities.

It's an odd feeling, disquieting in its very quietness. It doesn't seem to ruffle Delta in the slightest, but I'm always one for plans and have to concede to feeling a void of some sorts, that I'm not quite sure of how to handle.

Nothing to do, no one to see.
Hunkering down -
Delta, the kitty and me.

No comments: