Saturday, June 27, 2015

Shaking off the cobwebs

After what feels like an eternity, I awoke this morning inspired to shake off the mantle of silence and re-acquaint myself with my dear confidante, this blog. Why all of a sudden, you ask?  Who knows. The inner workings of my mind are a mystery, especially to me. Because I’m bored?  Because I finally (after 3 years) figured out how to connect my blogger account to my new Google+ account?  Because I’ve been doing some fun things I’d love to document for my own posterity? Check, check, check and more.

In any case, a quick catch up on life:

The family is fine: Delta and I are still living in our little (read: cozy) apartment in the Big Apple, with our two kitties, who are more than enough to keep us on our toes. Three years into their sororal relationship, Queen Jaffa and Charlie Parker are now solidly frenemies. They sleep right up next to each other. They spat. They hiss. They sniff butts and sometimes kiss. But most importantly, they know they’re safe, and loved, and the other conflicting complexities that make for cat-on-cat interactions simply pale in comparison. Cos and Dr G still live just a few blocks down the road, with their little kids who have now sprouted into real beings.  They squawk and talk and walk, and everyday surprise Delta and me with the crazy workings of the infant mind.

The friends grew up too: When it comes to friends, three years can seem a lifetime. When I last left off, Bobbs, Doobie and McPanj were still roommates in midtown Manhattan. Since then, they’re all growns up, some have gotten married, and our circle has inclusively morphed into a larger and more complex set of dynamics. Bobbis is now a part of duo “Bobbis and Po”. A lovely chap, and we’ll always love Bobbis all the more for bringing him into our lives. Doobie, in a heart-thumpingly swift twelve months, fell in love with a beau in London(!), engaged in a series of frenetic back-and-forth visits, and earlier this year, tied the knot in lovely City Hall. McPanj moved into an apartment right up on the UES by Delta and me, and we love love love having her just a stone’s throw away!
The Bobbis-Po dynamic duo

Doobie and her Trans-Atlantic dalliance

And me: I’ve grown up all over again. The same person, and yet an entirely different one. More perspective, more maturity, more awareness. Gentler. Kinder. More experience. I’ve certainly had my moments, but overall, it’s been a great few years, and everyday I realize just how lucky Delta and I are, to have all we have.

Life is an adventure: Somewhere during this bloggerial hiatus, I changed jobs a couple times, and am now at a small French tech firm.  And boy, it’s been an adventure! Startup life is just entirely different.  A lot more bumpy, but a lot more rewarding.  And if it’s a French startup, and peppered along the way are the occasional trips to Paris, then so much the better.  Delta and I have taken advantage of those fabulous flight benefits, and traveled as much as we could spare. Hawaii, Tuscany, the Boundary Waters, Mt Rainier.
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala


Kalalau Trail, Kauai, Hawai'i

Lunigiana, Tuscany

We’re on the brink of our future, and the only constraints are ourselves. The options seem suddenly limitless. 

No comments: