Thursday, August 24, 2006

Food, politics and diplomacy

Once a week, the office orders in pizza for lunch. Now, pizza is somewhat far from being my food of choice. It has far too much bread, far too little vegetable, and a revolting amount of cheese.

And sometimes, in life, one must look out for oneself, must one not? So I put in a special request with Fran. "When you order the catering, Fran," I grovelled in my sweetest tone, "could you please order me a veg one with no cheese?"
"Sure thing, hon."
And so I've been able to pull off a 'healthy pizza' miracle for a while now. Then suddenly, since the last two months, I noticed that someone else had been eating my healthy pizza. I'd get to the counter, and my specially ordered veg-no-cheese pizza would be gone!

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation, when I suddenly heard Richie Rich mention the other day that he was on a diet. My razorsharp mind at once put two and two together, and I turned to him with narrowed eyes.
"You haven't been eating my pizza, have you? Order your own!"
He laughed, but one can never trust a laughing boss.

I guess it isn't a wise idea to accuse your general manager of connery and thievery. I wonder how this will play out in my performance review due next month.

No comments: