Thursday, November 29, 2007

The perfect Tuesday evening

"Delta, since you have the week off, will you come volunteer at the nursing home with me this week?"
It was so important to me that he came and saw the nursing home, which I have grown incredibly attached to over the last few weeks.

So I finally introduced him to Bertha (who knows everything there is to possibly know about 1930s Hollywood).
And to Eunice (who barks crabby coments at anyone passing by, but we love her anyway).
And Mary (who is disgruntled that the place is called 'Greenwich Village Nursing Home' when Greenwich village actually starts two blocks away).
And Julia (who sang Besame Mucho again, as she does for me every week).

And as I took him around the nursing home, it suddenly dawned on me how dear it had become to me, how much it now was a part of my life.

When we said goodbye to the residents that evening, I gave them each a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek. ("What you hugging me for, they didn't even give me no turkey for Thanksgiving, that's the more important thing" Eunice grumbled, but I could still tell she was secretly pleased by the affection).

Most importantly, I could see how much Delta enjoyed it himself, and that just made my heart want to burst.

No comments: