Thursday, July 10, 2008

A rainy day conundrum

I have three umbrellas, and I store them with a fair amount of calculated strategy: one in my apartment, one in Delta's apartment, and one in my office at work. The idea being, of course, that should an unpredicted shower suddenly catch me off guard, I always have an umbrella close at hand.

This ingenious tactic has saved me through many a drenching over the course of time. But let me tell you, the success of such a plan involves its fair share of mental expenditure. Taking an umbrella from one place to another (because of the rain) and then forgetting to bring it back (because it's sunny the next day) can throw the entire plan off kilter.

Which brings me to last week, when I somehow managed to flummox myself into leaving all three umbrellas at Delta's. Which means, I somehow managed to get wet twice this week, while Delta was away, despite actually owning three umbrellas.

It's just like that riddle: how do you take a tiger, a sheep and a bundle of grass across the river, one at a time.

With some mental application, I still feel I might be able to triumph.

No comments: