Monday, September 08, 2008

At long last!

At long last, after waiting for many a day with bated breath, we have a confirmed closing day for our new apartment. Finally, finally, this wait is at an end. Finally, we can start getting serious about the furniture, and the wall painting, and together start creating this home which will be our own.

For two weeks now, I have been pestering our lawyer with pestilential tenacity on an almost daily basis.
"Have they given us a date yet?"
"What about now, do you have a date yet?"
"What about today, have you heard from them yet?"

So you can imagine, the lawyer quite expected me to whoop in jubilation when he called me this afternoon: "We have a date! September 19th!"
Instead, I dissolved into a puddle of panic. The 19th! That's less than two weeks away! But I still hadn't weeded through my stuff at home! And we still hadn't decided on the wall colours! And the furniture, and the movers and ... there was no way we had enough time.

In typical Ficali fashion, I had been so fixated on getting the closing date finalised, I hadn't really thought to plan for the day after. Or the day after. Or after.

I rushed home in a huff of panic and excitement, but no one was home yet, except Queen Jaffa, squawkingly demanding her food. So I proceeded to tell Queen Jaffa all about the closing date, and what that would mean for all of us. About what her new home would be like. About how she really shouldnt' scratch Delta's couch if she cared for us at all. About how we planned to take her for walks in the new neighbourhood. She was a rather silent participant in our conversation, but that's okay, I had enough to say for the both of us. And then in the end, after having silently endured the entire monologue, she squawked. She was just wondering why I was blithering on instead of giving her her food.

So I gave her her dinner, and headed to the room. Where the closet still needs to be weeded through. But closet control can be kept for tomorrow. Today, it's just about telling Queen Jaffa all about her new home.

No comments: