Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Spelling games

I called Amex Customer Services to inform them of my marital name change.

"Hi there, I just got married and I need to update my name with you please. My new name is McDelta."
"Excuse me? McDelta?"
"As in M for Malta, C for Cap, D for Doodles, E for Egypt, L for Lichtenstein, T for Turkey, A for Apple."
I hate spelling things out like that, I can never think of common words starting with the letters I need. Hence the desperately chosen 'Doodles' and 'Lichtenstein'.

"Thank you, ma'am. Let me repeat it to you. That's M for Mike, C for Canada, D for Donkey, E for Elephant, L for Lemon, T for Tom, and A for Alpha?"

I was suddenly intrigued by this new word game I had found.

I responded, "Yes, that's M for Money, C for Caterpillar, D for Doodles, E for Empathy, L for Lily, T for Temple and A for Annabel. Or Alphabet."

There was a long pause. Then an exasperated sigh. I was hoping she'd start the spelling bee again, but she didn't bite the bait.
"Okay I have it now, thank you ma'am," she said, and ended our conversation.

No comments: