Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An Autumn Gourd

I suddenly looked at my blog this morning, and realised - OMG I haven't posted anything since the 8th of September! The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of activity and simply disappeared before me in a whizzing continuum of chaos. Guess it goes to show, if there was ever any doubt, that time truly is an elastic concept. Experiential putty, figuratively speaking.

The last two weeks have been a time for a sudden spurt of growing up, in my life. Before last Friday, I never owned anything more valuable than my cellphone. And now, all of a sudden, we own a home. A home!! Delta and I whooped in excitement as soon as the 'closing' was over.

And then we went back to the apartment, and were immediately sobered. Oh the apartment was as lovely as it always had been, but there was so much work to be done!
"Come on Ficali, let's head over to Home Depot," Delta grabbed my hand and we headed out.

We bought little cans of wall paint, and painted large patches on our walls, trying to choose the colours for our new home. And over the next few days, I learnt about sanding and spackling (??!!) the trim, and about primer and choosing paint sheens. And about ridiculous paint colour names like "Autumn Gourd" and "Summer Overture".

And then finally, last night we got home and collapsed in an entangle exhausted pile onto the couch.
"I'm TIRED!!" I exclaimed. I hadn't thought that painting was this much work.

But at the same time, I was also exhilarated. Here it was, after days of hard labour (and many, MANY trips to Home Depot), our home was slowly coming together.

No comments: