Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Why I shouldn't be allowed out of the house on my own

I've been in Houston the last couple days, for work. I don't like business travel at the best of times, but am especially bad at travelling alone. I mean, once the last meeting's over, whats one supposed to do with your time?

So after I was done for the day I headed over to the gym. This gym was a tiny room (converted guest room at best estimate) with a couple of treadmills, a couple of bikes and a bunch of weights. There were four, sweaty, overweight men in the room already working out. I'm not trying to turn you off this blog post - people in the gym are just always sweaty, by the very nature of what they are doing, so I can't very well hold that against them. But it did occur to me, midst-jog, that I don't think I've ever been in a gym before with only men around. It's not like they looked at me - they probably hadn't even registered my presence, preoccupied as they were with their own grunts and groans. It was just me. I'd never been in a place - well, so testosteronified - in my life.

So as soon as I had done enough cardio to be able to call it a respectable workout, I jogged off the machine, out of the gym, and all the way back to my room as quickly as possible. But as soon as I'd stepped out of the shower, I was at loose ends all over again.

I checked my email about 10 times in as many minutes, but no one had sent me anything. Which irritated me quite a bit because when I'm all comfy at home and ready to watch the Wire, it seems like all my colleagues erupt in a veritable frenzy of email. But today - when all I need is a bit of work to occupy my dulling mind - nothing. Ridic.

So I walked around the block trying to find a nice spot to grab some dinner, but was left with a rather unsettled feeling. For one, there were no people about. Here I was, in the heart of downtown Houston, only 8pm, and there were no pedestrians anywhere. Nobody. Nitsch. Nein. Nada. Which wouldn't bother me - say if I was in rural Montana - but here, in a downtown city center, the empty streets felt like being in part of a sci fi movie. Or in the Twilight Zone. You know what I mean. And the other thing I noticed was that there were only chains. I passed a Subway, a Chilli's, an Olive Garden, a Ruby Tuesday, a McDonalds and a Pizza Hut before I was convinced enough that the only palatable option was to return to the hotel and huddle for my dear life.

So I ended up eating dinner by myself in the hotel restaurant, entertaining book in hand. A Marriott dinner is no less dreary than a fast food chain, mind you - but it has with it the dignity of the resignation with which I faced the rest of my trip.

And here's the climax of the evening. After the dinner, after I had paid my bill, after I had cleaned my plate and emptied my glass of wine, when all I had to do to make this a successful day was to get back safely to my room - I gone and outdone myself again. At the very last minute I suddenly suffered a lapse of the mind (for nothing else could explain this), and as I was leaving, I ... wait for it ... I gave the waitress a hug.

Yes, you heard it right. I actually gave the waitress a hug. Not the gentle squeeze of the arm, mind. A full-fledged bear-hug.

What was I thinking?! Just like all other times, I have no clue. I was horrified. I'm sure she was equally so.

But the poor girl reacted much to her credit, which is more than can be said for me. She said a mere startled thank you and beat a hasty retreat. I was mortified of course. To clarify, although I've done many a demented thing in my life, I have never, never, hugged a waitress before, just for serving me food. It was all very awkward, and I wish fervently that I've forgotten all about it by the morrow.

3 comments:

Bill said...

No other city in the US has the same feel as NYC. Dallas, Chicago, Houston, etc...all become ghost towns after 6pm when everyone heads back to the suburbs after work.

I lived in Dallas for a few years and you NEVER went into downtown after 6pm or on weekends. Not because it wasn't safe, it was just that no one lived there so nothing outside work related services ever took root. A lot of folks tried, and i did go to a club or two...but go one block in any direction and then there was nothing again.

There are however areas on the fringe of downtown that were probably kicking. Problem with that is there are no hotels, and because space is so abundant in the midwest and south, the 'edge of downtown' could be 10 miles away.

It is NYC's best an worst quality that it literally never sleeps. And when I do eventually move away, I'm not sure where to go to find a similar feel.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Yeah - I walked out and the most alive thing around were the mannequins in the storefronts. And they all stared at me in that creepy doll kind of way so I had to scamper back to the hotel. :)

And then I got back to NYC with the people cursing and the cars beeping and the crowds pushing, and I was once again happily ensconced in the chaos which is my home.

Verenda Harrt said...

Well I'm not allowed cause my parents say I have childish ideas. And I will get lost. ( but I won't ) .
I'm not even 13 yet!