Thursday, June 28, 2007

Support for Pride

The other day, Paula Zahn did a coverage special on transsexuality, homosexuality and transgender identities. Although I don't particularly like the Paula Zahn show, I do often times catch myself watching it, because really anything has to be preferable to American Idol and a fifth-time repeat of Everybody Loves Raymond.


In any case, the subject of transgender identities has been on my mind for some time now, since I'm currently reading Middlesex (Eugenides), which has me totally absorbed in the hermaphrodite character life of Calliope Stephanides.


Watching the CNN documentary, the main debate seemed to be centred around the nature vs. nurture argument: Are homosexuality and transgender identity "crises" the result of genetics or societal influence? As the show continued, Bobbis, Ilajna and I found ourselves getting instinctively drawn into the debate. Each of us had differing opinions and views on the subject. Each of our views contradicted the others', and none of us had too much by way of evidence to support our individual opinions.


I was passionate on the subject. I realised how strongly I felt about it (I mean, studies show that gay men tend to have hair whorls which swirl in the opposite direction from straight men - what is that, if not scientific evidence of genetic influence?!). But mostly, I was saddened by how ill-informed we all were on the subject. On something so fundamental and endemic to our human existence.


This is going to call for additional googling and research.


Ironically, when Milo and I caught up for lunch yesterday at the Cafeteria (which has, by the way, now become our regular rendez-vous locale), we bumped into one of the panel speakers on the Paula Zahn show that Bobbis, Ilajna and I had been discussing.


Yes, if I remembered correctly, the president of a major gay rights foundation in the city. I'd been truly impressed by this fellow, and I couldn't help myself, I felt absolutely compelled to express my support. So I waded through the crowded restaurant and interrupted the conversation he was having with his companion.
"Erm, excuse me, I'm so sorry to interrupt but I simply have to ask. Were you on a CNN interview last night?"

"Why yes!" he smiled at me, his face lighting up.
"Well, I just wanted to let you know the stuff you said was great. It was really good. Really good." Yes, that is exactly how eloquent I am under pressure.
"Thank you! That's nice to hear."
"Yes, it was just amazing." Who had let the idiot inside me out of its cage?
There was the awkward moment when we realised I had finished the one thing I had to say, and neither of us understood why I was still standing there.
"Well that's all. Just wanted to say it. Good bye!" I scooted off, towards the door.

Milo was waiting for me at the door, laughing.
"Well, I'm glad you got that off your chest," he said.
"Do I have anything between my teeth?" I asked, flashing him an alligator grin.
"All clear."


And we headed off, me trying to compile in my head the hundreds of different things I could have said to better express my support.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shld watch Transamerica or Boys Don't Cry - both good movies on the subject.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions! I've watched Boys Don't Cry before, definitely a winner film.
- FMP

Anonymous said...

You should watch Everybody Loves Raymond

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Haha that's a funny one! :)