Monday, February 18, 2008

Going Huck

I was just thinking to myself this morning that I hadn't spoken to McKlaine in a long while, when all of a sudden an IM window popped up on my screen.

McKlaine: OMG OMG OMG
What in the world could have happened, I thought.
Ficali: Hi! What's up?
McKlaine: Guess what happened. Actually never mind. You'll never be able to guess.
Ficali: What what what

McKlaine: So we got this new neighbour a couple of months ago. And we never see him around - don't bump into him going in and out, getting the mail, nothing. Wouldn't even know he existed. No sign of him at all - except every night like at 4 a.m., he seems to drag furniture around.
Ficali: Are you serious? That's crap. You must be so irritated.
McKlaine: Like every night. Without fail. There's heavy things being dragged and pushed and pulled across the floor.

I wrinkled my nose in distaste. That's just weird. So I said as much to McKlaine.

And then he told me something that made my heart skip a beat.

McKlaine: Then last night, I was alone at home, just pottering about. From my room window, I can see directly into his living room. And I just happened to glance up at that moment, and there he was, just sitting there. There was an enormous fire blazing.
Ficali: Like in a fireplace?
McKlaine: I suppose so, but it looked bigger than normal.
Ficali: And then?
McKlaine: And then he got up and slowly approached one of the walls, and that's when I saw it. In thick black paint, across his living room wall, in large letters: "666"

A chill shot through my spine, and I quickly shut down the conversation window. Taking a deep breath, I started a new IM conversation.

Ficali: What! That's freaky.
McKlaine: Yeah I know, rather. What should I do?
Ficali: Move out!
McKlaine: Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
Ficali: I suppose you could try a friendly gesture first - like bake cookies and go over and introduce yourself or something.
McKlaine: I would if I didn't think there was a considerable chance he would eat me.
Ficali: Hmm, so there's no other option? You're just going to move out?
McKlaine: Yeah, well that, and probably have to vote Huckabee now.

No comments: