Sunday, June 29, 2008

Kitty McDelta

Enter the newest member of our family - Kitty McDelta.

Every once in a while, I stop by the PetCo near home. They keep cats for adoption there, and when I can, I like to wander in and spend some time petting the little critters. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a cage, and I try to shake the mundanity of their daily routines with a bit of personalised TLC.

But last week when I went to Petco, I was greeted to a bit of personalised TLC of my own. As I approached the kitty cages, one of the cats rushed to the edge of it's cage to greet me, and stuck out its front legs in what I can only describe as a human greeting hug.

As I approached it's cage, it stretched out it's legs and wrapped its 'arms' around my fingers, and kept reaching out to touch my face, as though to make sure I was really there.

Now you may know, cats are normally not the most affectionate of beings. Not cold, as they are often mis-characterised, but certainly not affectionate either. So you can imagine how these gestures of enthusiasm rather took me by surprise.

This simply can't be, I thought to myself, but I spent a few minutes that day smothering her back with affection in return. And I came back the next day, and was greeted to the same exuberance. And the next day. And the next.

Until I had to go to Delta and let him know, "I think this is the one. This is the kitty we should get."
And I had to go to Doobs, who is mortified at the very thought of anything remotely feline, and beg borrow grovel her into accepting kitty.

And so it was that Saturday afternoon, amidst a fair share of chaos, Doobs, Queen Noor and I shuffled through the downpour to get Kitty McDelta from the shelter. Brought her home, and opened the cat carrier with some trepidation, wondering what she would think of her new environs.

But out she jumped, to all our pleasant surprise, and immediately took to exploring the apartment. To endearing herself to Doobie, Queen Noor, Ilajna, Bobbis, Delta and me. To staking her claim on the couch and the bed. To lying on her back for a belly rub.

And really, she must be the one, because I've never seen a kitty who is more puppy than cat.


No comments: