Tuesday, April 07, 2009

If we could only do away with salutations

"So I got in touch with my cousin the other day," Doobie told me. "I haven't really ever spoken to her in my life before. But the other day, I wrote her an email. And I didn't know how to sign off!"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, do I sign off Regards? Take Care? Love? Nothing sounds quite right for someone who's pretty much a stranger, and still your cousin. I hate having to make such decisions."
"What did you choose in the end?" I asked, curious. I'd never been in that position before myself, and I'm not sure what I would have chosen.
"I played it safe and went with love. At least that way I can't offend her. But now I think I might have over-stated the emotion a bit. It's awkward."

I was just mulling such decisions over in my head, when Delta asked me the same question the other day.
"Ficali, one of my friends wrote me this email, but she signed off really formal. How do I respond! Do I write Regards?"
Crikey, I had no clue. Isn't regards reserved for work emails?
"Why don't you hedge your risk and avoid salution, just sign off Delta?" I suggested.
"I hate making such decisions. It's just so awkward."

Clearly, we mastered the art of writing emails, but never how to end them. No wonder they invented Twitter and Facebook. Life made easier - there isnt' enough character space to waste on niceties.

No comments: