Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The rousings of a letter

Yesterday, I got an email from Organising for America, urging me to write an email to my local newspaper listing my feelings about the healthcare bill.

So I put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) and started to compose some of my most laudatory prose yet, to the editor of the New York Times. I extolled the virtues of a healthcare bill that makes the system more about actually caring than profitability. I talked about coverage for the less fortunate and protection for the jobless. The words spewed out of me, and for that moment, I felt quite the orator.

When it comes down to it, my email was neither exceptionally eloquent nor spectacularly informed. And yet, for a moment I entertained the fantasy that the editor of the NY Times might take a fancy to my writing and offer me the opportunity to become a newspaper contributor. Maybe even a regular columnist. But of course, I heard nothing. Not even an auto-reply acknowledging that my email had actually reached its' destination after it's cyberspatial journey. Not even an auto-reply.

But as it turns out, the email was not for naught. It reminded me after all, that I've missed writing these past few weeks. And even if my crimson thoughts aren't quite good enough for the NY times, my little blog faithfully beckons the inner ramblings of my mind.

Dear blog, and to think I had almost forsaken you (well for a couple weeks anyway).

No comments: