Sunday, March 20, 2011

HR bods live life on the edge too, dammit

Last weekend, being the responsible denizens that we are, Delta and I regrouped to do our taxes. As turbotax walked us through step after step of our financial confessions, the conversation quickly degenerated, as it does each year at this time, into an overall lamentation of the state of our financial affairs.

We were glancing over all our numbers, when one particularly leapt out at me.
"Hang on a sec!" I exclaimed, grabbing Delta's arm. "$200 a month for life insurance?!! Two hundred??!"
"You're right, that does seem a little high," Delta agreed, puzzled.

Momentarily distracted from our taxes, we started meandering down the tunnel of life insurance instead. And here's what we found:
The $200 we pay each month is broken down into:
- Delta, $196
- Ficali, $4

I get why Delta's is so high. Being a pilot and flying internationally and frequently flying to Africa and ... I totally get it. He's high risk. And we're happy to pay in acknowledgement of this.

But really, $4 for me? Just $4? Was that kind of slap in the face really necessary?

"Well, erm, I don't think HR is considered to be, ah, a very high risk profession..." Delta ventured tentatively, trying to tread the dangerous line between life's practicalities and a happy wife.
But I was non-plussed.
So what if I spend my life plugged into my laptop and my greatest threat is the risk of carpel tunnel? I live life on the edge too, dammit.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to pay any more (thank you). I just a little acknowledgement that HR bods are like the Jason Bourne's of corporate mediocrity. Is that too much to ask for?

No comments: