Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Like it's 1999

Friday afternoon, Ilajna sent us a note:
Guys, Danny's birthday drinks tomorrow. Come if you can!

Being as I was still somewhat out of sorts with my cold and cough, I wasn't about to jump into party mode. But Saturday rolled around, and Guster called us and asked if we weren't up for a couple of drinks at the local, before we headed over to Danny's. I hadn't really intended to drink, but the barstool was so snug, and the bartender was so friendly, and the boys were in great form, so the question of wine became inevitable.
"Oh, okay, just this one."

Before we knew it, Delta had already made his third trip to the jukebox, and all our favourite tools were pulsing through the room. Before we knew it, it was already 11 o'clock. All of a sudden, time had snuck up on us, as it is often wont to do. Delta grabbed my hand, "let's head over to Danny's before it's too late!"

So we walked the few blocks over to the bar where Danny was celebrating his birthday, and what do you know, it turned out there were a couple of pool tables where games were on the go. There was no time to waste, and Delta and I rolled up our sleeves and put on our game faces.

I'd first learnt pool in highschool, on an old pool table where our shots had to navigate distorting cracks, peaks and crevices in the felt. Needless to say, I'd perfected the art of imperfect shots. All the same, I grabbed the cue without hesitation and plunged into the game like the foolhardy Don Quixote.

And before we knew it, another few hours had passed. Boy, if there was anything that's a time-sink, it's pool. When we stepped out for a brief fresh air break, we noticed the scent of early morning breads already being delivered to diners. And of course, we were suddenly starving. We simply had to have a diner breakfast. So Lahsiv, Doobs, Delta and I headed over to the diner next door, to hungrily scarf down generous servings of eggs and toast and pancakes.

It was 5.30am by the time Delta and I finally crawled into bed that night. "Boy!" I sighed, exhaustedly. "For homely chickens like us, we've just partied like it's 1999!"

No comments: