Monday, March 02, 2009

My top five. And then my top ten.

"What's your top 5 books ever?" MacKlaine asked me the other day.


Possibly one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. So after much, much thought, here's my list. And I've taken the coward's way out and done a top 5. and then a top 10. And only just barely stopped myself from doing a top 20. Because really, once you're giving books a 5* rating, it's really hard to distinguish. I guess the way I'd put it is that all these books had characters I fell in love with. Again and again, in each page and each chapter.


Top 5 (in no specific order):

- Nobody's Fool (Richard Russo)
- Cider House Rules (John Irving)
- Brooklyn Follies (Paul Auster)
- Birdsong (Sebastien Faulks)
- A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)


Top 10 (in no specific order):

- Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Michael Chabon)
- Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates (Tom Robbins)
- God of Small Things (Arundathi Roy)
- Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
- Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami)

No comments: