Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Belly Club

Yesterday, we had a mini-reunion of sorts. Milo, Dub, Doobie, Ilajna, Bobbs and me.

This is how it all started. I logged into my email the other day, and had a little reminder pop up - 'Dubs Bday today!' it told me. I'm mortified to say, I hadn't spoken to Dub in more than a year, in fact I didn't even know if I still had his uptodate contact information. How do we let ourselves do this to our good friends?

I took a chance anyway and dropped him an email - "happy birthday, dub" I said, knowing it would come out of the blue for him. I had a response from him less than thirty seconds later: "thanks! it's been too long, let's meet!!". I was ecstatic. Maybe we let ourselves do this to our good friends precisely because we know our relationships can weather this.

So I sent out a note to the gang - guys, want to meet up, where else could it be but Keats. It took less than a minute to get a whole bunch of replies. Yes! Absolutely! Brilliant! Can't wait! It's been so long!

And so it came to be that yesterday, we all met each other again, some of us after more than a year. I couldn't stop hugging Dub when I saw him. And I couldn't stop asking him questions - they tumbled out of me in disorderly fashion, interrupting Dub's answers as he grappled to keep pace.

Milo and Doobie looked each other up and down, having met each other after months.
"You've put on weight."
"Oh, yeah? Well on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate you a 5."
And less than 30 seconds into their reunion, they slipped right back into the feisty balance they've always taken comfort in.

There's something so touching about meeting old friends again, and I could feel my heart brimming with happiness that spilled out through the goofy smile plastered across my face.

"We have to do this more often!" someone announced.
"Let's form a club!"
I looked over at Doobs and Milo. They were still arguing over who had undergone more physical change since they last saw each other.
"I know," I stepped in, trying to mitigate their argument. "Let's call ourselves the belly club. We're a belly friendly place."
Milo made a face. "I am NOT friendly with my belly. There is going to be no belly here."

But Doobie and Mrs. Pooks were already laughing, and the name was just going to stick. And so here we are, the Belly Club, all set up with monthly catch ups and all.

No comments: