Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Geriatric charmer

Last night at the nursing home, we had arranged for a Frank Sinatra impersonator, you know, just to bring a bit of thrill and razzmatazz to the place for the holiday season. And believe me, it came as close to a rock concert as I could possibly imagine the place. There they were, all the residents, sitting up straight in their chairs, waving their arms, some even hooting and cheering.
Most of the residents are women, and the Sinatra performer had them all swooning over his every move and smile. Charm poured out of him, along with one love song after the next. With each move, sighs of happiness and romantic reminiscence ensued throughout the elderly audience.

When Sinatra had finished his last song, there were cries for an encore. After the requisite amount of fussing, he willingly obliged, and performed yet another one. "Let's do Pennies from Heaven," he suggested, and the entire audience swooned yet again.

The oldest resident there, Edith, is 102 years old. Age has brought her to lose all her eyesight, yet her mind still remains sharp as a razor, and still keeps me on my toes with her witty banter.
When Sinatra was done with his last song, Edith broke the silence with a shrill cry, "Frankie, I love you!! I LOVE YOU FRANKIE!! Will you stay with me tonight?!"
A stunned silence filled the room. The singer paused, not quite sure how to respond.
"Edith!" I said, in a tone which was meant to be mock reprimand, but which really came out as awe.
"What?!" she turned in my direction, "Can't an old lady also have some fun once in a while?!"

I hope we all grow old with as much spirit as Edith.

No comments: