Saturday, January 05, 2008

An active start to the year

Gosh, this 2008! It's been abuzz with activity already, and I can just barely keep up. How am I ever going to make it through the rest of the year!

We had barely recovered from the aftermath of New Year's Eve events when Ilajna announced that she and Benny would be holding a combined birthday party this weekend. And so it came to be, that with inevitable delirium and decorum, we headed out to Pescatore for dinner and then the nearby Manchester Pub "for fun and plenty of dancing!" (per the evite).

And today, despite my body rather hoping I'd do otherwise, I forced myself to a frenzied level of activity, what with all the chores that needed to get completed before we leave for the Galapagos. There were arms to be waxed, toenails to be painted, money to be withdrawn, scopolomine patches to be collected from the pharmacy - the list seemed dauntingly limitless at first, but I chipped away at it with admirable tenacity, until by the end of the day when Bobbis and I went to get dinner, everything was all but checked off.

Finally, I ended the evening with mending Delta's pants. Just as we had started packing our bags yesterday, Delta held out a pair of pants and shouted out in horror. "Look!! They have a hole in them!" I glanced up, and there it was, an unmistakable hole below his front pocket.
"What am I going to do?!" he implored in distressed alarm.
"Oh that's so easy to just sew up!"
"You know how to sew?!"
And that's how I ended up with the task of mending Delta's pants. I can't say it looks professional. Or stylish even. But hey, I'm guessing the penguins and sea lions won't be too perturbed.

Which brings us to where we are right now.
Two bags full of cameras, wetsuits, cargo pants, t-shirts, shorts and swimwear.
About to fly out to Ecuador tomorrow.
Ready to embark on one of the biggest adventures of our lives.

No comments: