Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A stringent code of ethics

"Excuse me, miss, could you spare me a penny?"

I don't normally stop to give money to beggars on the street. Food, yes. Charity donations, yes. But not money. Don't ask me why, it's a warped principle thing.

But yesterday, I had a few coins jangling in my pocket, and I was feeling at one with the love of life, so before I knew it, I had stopped.

"Excuse me, miss, do you have a penny to spare?"

I fished in my pocket and pulled out a quarter. Usually, I quarters are sacrosanct. They are our means to do laundry. But yesterday, all rules were off. I proferred the quarter to the man sitting on the sidewalk, huddling inside a sleeping bag.

"Here you go!"
He looked at the coin. Turned it over. And then returned it.
"No, miss, I only need a penny."
I gawked. I gaped. I gasped. Essentially, I had no idea how to react.
"Erm, okay, let's see here..."
I fished in my pocket and pulled out the next coin my fingers grasped. Handed him the dime. "Will this do?"
"Only if you don't have a penny, ma'am. All I need is a penny. You see, I just need something to scratch this scratchcard with."
"Oh!" I fished about some more. Found a penny, handed it over.
"Thank you, ma'am. Now I can scratch this card and hopefully get some money."

I couldn't help myself, I laughed out loud. He did too, I guess we both saw the humour in it at the same time.
"Good luck, man!" I said, as I headed off. Sincerely wishing he did win the lottery.

No comments: