Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Interviews are scary (even for an HR bod)

Yesterday, Delta and I had to appear for a Board Interview. This interview process is peculiar to New York, it appears. Essentially, after you agree to buy a home, and after the seller agrees to sell it to you, and after you get all the mortgage shenanigans sorted, you still need to get approved by the Board. The Board is a panel of the building's tenants, who ultimately decide whether or not they like you enough to let you stay in their coveted building. Essentially, a group of strangers deciding upon the fate of your life. Charming, really.

"Remember to dress up for this interview just as you would for a job interview!" our broker cautioned. And so Delta and I had to cobble together a set of vestaments suitable for the occasion. At least Delta wears suits every once in a while, usually for the odd wedding or another. But me, I hadn't dressed corporate smart in years. Delta took one look at the shirt I had in my hand, and sighed. "We're going to need to iron that," he said, shaking his head. And (with good reason) he proceeded to iron it himself, for fear that I would ruin it.

So after a bit of ado and kerfuffle, there we were, all spiffed and shined. I ogled at the girl staring at me in the mirror - the one in a crisp white shirt tucked into a tight skirt and 3-inch heels. And wobbled my way precariously to the door. Other than on my actual wedding day, I dont' think I've worn any footwear but flip flops all summer.

We reached the building a few minutes early and seated ourselves in the lobby. I wondered nervously what the board would be like. Who would interview us. Whether they'd be personable. Whether they'd like us. And of course, most importantly, whether we'd pass their test. I was mulling these questions over in my head when a man approached us in the lobby.

"Delta? Ficali?"
It took me a moment to register that he might actually be a member of the board. He was dressed in sweatpants and a t-shirt, obviously on his way to the gym.
"Hi, I'm Zor," he stuck his hand out warmly.

And at once, I knew it would be just fine. There were two people who interviewed us in the end, and they embodied exactly the simplicity and casual warmth that had attracted us to the building in the first place. We liked them both instantly. After a friendly half an hour chat with these two happy bods (one of them turns out to be our neighbour, coincidentally), we were already on our way.

So there we go, final hurdle almost done, and now, at the end of September, we might actually have our first home.

No comments: