Saturday, June 20, 2009

Camping adventures

Over the past couple of weeks, Delta and I have engaged ourselves in a flurry of preparation for camping season (to culminate in our Machu Picchu summit endeavour in October). Over multiple trips to Paragon Sports, the pinnacle of outdoor sporting goods in Manhattan, we've procured ourselves a tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trail maps and hiking shoes.

I have to confess, I was somewhat unprepared for how rapidly equipment can deplete the wallet. But here we are, light of wallet but full of anticipation and excitement for the summer to come.

In our excitement to practice hiking, we decided to plan a camping/hiking trip in the Catskills. I researched a campground known as a good base for hikers, and we booked a ground. Sent out the link to everyone, beside myself with excitement.

And then I decided to read reviews of the campground. Predictably, everyone raved about it. But then I noticed what else everyone said. Everyone (and I mean everyone) said they saw black bears. Yes, the campground is full of bears.

Exciting. Right?

Right?

Of course Delta and I, after our little grizzly encounter in Yellowstone, are bear veterans. Its the others I'm worried about. We know how to use the bear-mace and run squealing for our lives. As Richie Rich once gave me sage advice, "if you're running from a bear, you don't need to outrun the bear. You just need to outrun the people you're with."

Let me tell you, in our group of friends, I am quite the turtle (sans protective shell).

Needless to say, last night I had a dream that Queen Jaffa had turned into a bear.

I mean, I'm not scared or anything. No way. Not me.

But just - Queen Jaffa was a bear. Rattles one cage a bit, doesn't it.

No comments: