Sunday, April 27, 2008

A flurry of effort

Next weekend, Ficali the Brave will be, in defiance of all odds and gawds, attempting the 45 mile 5 Boro Bike Ride. Of course, I'd love to say how, without any practice or attempts at general fitness, I'll hop out of bed next week and miraculously just be able to ride 45 miles with a snap of my fingers. But the truth is, I've long learned that miracles are the prerogative of the likes of Mary Poppins.

I, on the other hand, have to prepare myself the non-miracle way - I mean, through actual effort. And seeing as even the slightest incline inspires the fear of gawd in me in my current state of rather delicate fitness, I've been recently dedicating my efforts to a last minute high-intensity fitness routine.

And thus it came to be that this Saturday afternoon, while Delta was visiting his Mum, and Jeet was at a baby shower, and the rest of the gang was contemplating leisurely naps, I decided to take the bike out and head to the park, in a burst of superhuman tenacity.

And just as you shake your head in disbelieving admiration, I'd like to point out that after that, I also went biking with Jeet on Sunday. Yes, that is my unbelievable dedication to this sport. That is the extent of the heart-thumping panic with which I anticipate the approaching bike ride.

No comments: