Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hasta luego, invierno!

Today, out of nowhere, all of a sudden, the sun came out in all it's glorious brilliance. Warm and glowing and splashing the city with golden happiness. All around the city, people were holding hands and smiling, just like you see in the adds. I spontaneously put on sandals and a skirt, allowing my toes to see sunshine for the first time in six months.

The first sunny day of spring is startling to the system, like an overcast day with a single break in the cloud cover, when a scintillating shaft of sunlight shines through, making you squint in shaky uncertainty. My toes curled in shyness, not accustomed to being exposed so nakedly to the world at large.

"Why are you all dressed up?" several people at work asked me today, in reference to my skirt and sandal (in place of the usual jeans-and-trainers garb). What could I say? To celebrate the first day in six months I didn't have to actually wear a turtleneck?

Such a warm, beautiful day, in the beginning of April!
But such a warm day?

Tomorrow, I'll worry about global warming.

For today, I bask in sunny warmth.

No comments: