Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Monkey Brain

When I was young, if we ever did anything wrong, my granddad used to call us "monkey brains". Forgot to wash your hands before a meal?
"Ha, ha," he'd tease. "Monkey Brain! Go wash your hands."
Sadly, I don't have very many memories of my granddad. But I remember this.

Now, think of me as I am today. Think of all the silly wrongdoings I find myself in on a daily basis. Now multiply that exponentially, and you'll have an idea of what I was like as a kid. I was the quintessential Monkey Brain.

Anyways, the epithet left no undying scar in my mind. I haven't even thought about it in more than twenty years - well, until yesterday.

Greedy for an afternoon snack, I was trying to peel my banana in a hurry. Grabbed the stalk to break it off, and somehow, unbelievably, I broke the banana in half. I've never done that before.
Weird, I thought to myself, sounds like something a monkey would do.

Didn't really think much of it, just devoured the two halves of the banana as if it was normal. And then - and you're really not going to believe this - it happened again today.

Again, in trying to peel a banana, I actually broke it in half. It's as though I've forgotten how to peel a banana!

That's when I thought again of my granddad. He'd called it right when I was a mere nubbin.

Sigh. Once a Monkey Brain, always a Monkey Brain.

No comments: