Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This crazy month

There's been far more kerfuffle in May than I would have expected, I have to say. Gone is the myth that the summer is about relaxation. Come to think of it, gone is the myth that May is summer. This year's May has made a stubborn point of being rather winterly, much to my disdain. But you know how it is with the weather. You just don't get much of a say.

Last weekend, Rohinton and Jeet moved to Bermuda. Their visa took so long in the coming, that it lulled me into an unwitting complacency. Somehow, I convinced myself that life would continue as is forever. But, of course, complacency is the downfall of mankind and all that blah. So it came as a rather rude shock when Rohinton called me the other day and confirmed that their visa had come through and that they would be moving in a matter of days.

And as I do with all things more complex than tying shoelaces, I nodded enthusiastically in response, while silently shelving the news away in my mind to be processed on another day. I hadn't really thought about what it would mean. I mean, not really. So when I found myself at their going away party last Friday, it suddenly occurred to me, crikey, they're actually GOING. It means no more brunches with Jeet. No more family dinners with them and my Cos. No more... and at once, I started to panic.

My panic might have disintegrated into sheer chaos, I have to say, except that the rents turned up in town for a visit, distracting me from the void that Rohinton and Jeet had left. So this week will be all about keeping the rents entertained. Dinners, shopping, walks in the park, wine on the roof deck.

And then, of course, there's the Springsteen concert. Yes, despite all odds, and through unfathomable circumstances, Guster managed to score us some tickets to the Springsteen concert. With a sheer stroke of ill-fated and heartbreaking luck, Delta was called into training on the very same date, so as it turns out, Doobs and I, having missed ol' Springsteen in his heyday, will still be there, bopping to the tunes like teens. Talk about bringing in the Memorial Day weekend in style!

And then, of course, there's our party. At the end of May, but approaching far faster than we had anticipated, for lack of a better term, our wedding party. Only 9 months too late, but then again, as the wise adage says, it's never too late. All our friends and family together in one garden all day?! Who could ask for more. I'm excited beyond belief about the party. I know it's going to be a great day.

But right now, what with all the haps, I have to say, May is shaping out to just be a bit chaotic.

No comments: