Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ramping up for the big day

"I want to know what biking thirty miles really feels like," I told Delta, as we planned our route on Sunday morning.

When we'd registered to participate in the MS Bike Run scheduled for this October, it had all sounded a bit easier viewed through the rose-tinted glasses of distant future. But with the day now fast approaching, we realised we really ought to get all trained up.

First, Jeet bought herself a new bike (looks similar to mine, named 'Jet Blue' as opposed to my 'Blue Lightning'. Yes, the name is half the battle.) So Delta, Jeet and I hit the road this past weekend. On to the bike path on the East side, all the way down to the bottom of the island, up the bike path along the west side, all the way up to 125th street, and then back. Close to the 30 mile mark, I reckon.

I have to concede, I wasn't in good shape when we got back. Thumping heart ricocheting around in my chest. Legs gone, and in their absence were two pillars of jelly. Hair plastered to a classic Helmet Head. Smile replaced by a semi-pout.

"I.. I think it's a bit tougher than I'd anticipated," I conceded, as I sank onto a bench, and we both laughed at the mess I was in.

But at least I knew I'd done it. There. Now I knew I could pull it off and survive it. And it certainly helped to be doing this in support of a cause.

My sincere thanks to those of you who contributed, by the way.

No comments: