Saturday, September 29, 2007

Volunteering together

One of my colleagues sent out a note about New York Cares Day and suggested we start an Avanade team.
Totally, I'm going to sign up! I thought to myself, and forwarded the email to the others at home. "Guys, interested in taking part in this?" I asked.
"Count me in!" Delta was quick to reply.
"Me too!" said Ilajna. Me too, Me too said Doobs and Bobbis in quick succession.

And soon, there we were. A team of New York Cares volunteers, all set to paint schools on October 20th. And then, out of curiosity, I started researching more into the organisation (http://www.nycares.org/).

"Look, babe!" I pointed out to Delta. "There's all this other stuff we could be volunteering for too." We pored over the list of opportunities excitedly. There were food kitchens for the homeless. There was tutoring for young children. Animal care in petcare centers. And most importantly, times and dates and locations to suit everyone. And then one of particular interest caught my eye.
Play bingo with residents in this nursing home, it said. Bingo with old people?! I could not believe my eyes. Hell I'd do that just for fun, any day! I was excited. This could very much become my calling in life, I thought, envisioning already a future of bingo halls and heartwarming old folks' tales.

So we all signed up for the volunteer mandatory orientation. And next week, I can't wait to get started with the real thing.

No comments: