Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Who needs a mama when...

What with my usual lunch buddy (Metrohom) amiss this week, I've been a bit out of sorts at lunch time. Today, I decided to head down to the Chinese deli just below the building.

"Korean deli," Metrohom would have corrected me, if he saw me writing this.
But the truth is, when you have a deli which sells Chinese food, is owned by a Mexican, and employs Korean staff, doesn't that give you the right to refer to it however you want?

So I wandered in to the deli and served myself some grub from the hot food buffet. Headed over to the counter, and the lady there subjected my food to a thorough inspection, while I squirmed awkwardly and awaited judgement.
"Where your green?" she asked.
Huh?
"Where your green?! No is healthy all tofu no green."
"Oh no, I got greens," I told her brightly. I shook the box gently to displace the tofu and reveal the steamed green leafy something-or-others below.
"Okay you got green is healthy is good."
"Thanks," I grinned.

I waited for her to ring me up. Nothing.

Another moment or two. Cleared my throat.

"Where your fruit? Is no good no fruit."
"Oh ok I'll get an apple. See? Here you go, I have apples and greens."
"Okay is very healthy now is very good you see what I mean when you old."
"Thanks!" I beamed as I paid for my lunch and headed out.

"You come here everyday and I make you nice and healthy and very strong and tall!" she shouted after me as I headed out.

Hmm, I think I have my lunch place figure out for this week.

No comments: